The disorders listed in the first 3 categories below are believed to have an inherited basis, or are known to have a predilection for this breed ("breed predisposition"). This means the disorder occurs more commonly in this breed compared to other breeds, or to the general dog population. Common sense suggests that these are inherited disorders, but for many breeds and many disorders, the studies to determine the mode of inheritance or the frequency in the breed have not been carried out, or are inconclusive.
We have listed disorders for which there is a general consensus among those investigating in this field and among veterinary practitioners, that the condition is significant in this breed. Where the mode of inheritance is known, this information is included on the linked disease page. The most popular breeds tend to have the most disorders listed because there is a larger number of dogs affected, and therefore more opportunity to recognize a breed predisposition to a particular disorder. As well, there is likely to be more indiscriminate breeding of these breeds, leading to a higher occurrence of inherited disorders. In less common or newer breeds, there may be no disorders listed or the list of disorders may be quite short, because it can take some time before enough dogs are affected to recognize an inherited condition.
The last category lists conditions that have been reported sporadically, and may be inherited in this breed.
- Atrial septal defect (ASD)
- Cervical vertebral instability (Wobbler syndrome)
- Coagulation (bleeding) disorders
- Cryptorchidism, retained testicle
- Cutaneous asthenia (Ehlers-Danlos syndrome)
- Demodicosis/ Demodectic mange
- dermoid sinus
- Gastric dilatation-volvulus
- Hip dysplasia
- Histiocytic ulcerative colitis
- Progressive retinal atrophy
- Pyloric stenosis
- Sick sinus syndrome
- Third eyelid (nictitating membrane) abnormalities - "cherry eye"
- Idiopathic epilepsy
- Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing's syndrome)
- Platelet dysfunction (thrombocytopathia, Basset hound thrombopathia)